Monday, March 21, 2011

Sign posts

If we consider fitness a journey, then ultimately we come up against roadblocks, things that prevent us getting fitter, stop us working out or whatever. But what about the sign posts, the things that help us get where we are going. In the main, for me these are people, who have helped and encouraged me to get fitter, and in doing that they have helped change my life. Hopefully what I write on this blog will make me a signpost for others but in the meantime I'm going to acknowledge these people here on my blog:
My wife Tracy: from the day my wife said she was going to join a gym and did I want to have a look to my latest achievement, Tracy has given me encouragement and support, my biggest booster.
Stuart: my first personal trainer at the gym, Stuart encouraged me to not worry about how I looked but to focus on my results, pretty important when you are a self conscious 170kg man.
Emma Towler: Emma was the first RPM instructor who's class I took at Vic Park Zest, she took an interest, always had heaps of encouragement and always made sure I was working hard. Got me hooked on RPM, defintely a good thing.
Dave Enwright: another group fitness instructor who's interest in his participants goes above & beyond. I first went to one of David's pump classes a few years back and must have looked pretty ordinary because he got me to stay back and work on my technique, since that day every time I saw him he was super encouraging.
Andrew Paterson: after seeing how much I liked RPM Andrew asked me if I had a bike and did I ever ride outside, I had a bike but didn't ride it much. I decided to give it a try and liked it, since then I've bought new bikes and had some awesome riding experiences, Thanks Andrew.
Mickey Boulton: sold me my first bike, and my second and my third. He encouraged me to join the shops group rides, to try out triathlon and encourage me in everything I've had a shot at. Never ask Mickey if you should try something unless you want the answer to be Yes.
I've had so much support & encouragement from so many people sometimes it's hard to keep track, if I've missed anyone my apologies, if I've inspired anyone to do anything, that's fantastic. If I can inspire anyone to be a sign post in someone elses life thats even better.
Thanks everyone for reading, encouraging and humoring this fatboy

3 comments:

  1. I should also point out that Mickey's wife Jo makes the worlds best muffins, which is another great reason to ride with Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  2. good on you, Clinton. You have definitely been an inspiration. We all have obstacles that interfere with our fitness goals: you have shown us that a steady, committed approach, and never losing sight of our longer term goals, will get us there in the end. Perhaps with the exception of Lance Armstrong, I don't think I have ever met anybody who better encapsulates the motto "NEVER GIVE UP". Julie (aka Coffee Bitch)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Julie, I don't often get compared to Lance Armstrong.

    ReplyDelete