Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Girl, You have no faith in medicine

Well, tonights run brought an unwelcome friend along:injury. For a big, relatively unfit man who attempts stupid tests of my physical ability I have had very few injuries. In fact other than general soreness post an event and the odd lingering pain from a cramp I've had a pretty good run. Tonight I experienced pain and an odd sensation, fear. I've seen it before but never really understood it on the faces of injured sportspeople,that initial thought that what if this injury lasts long enough to ensure I miss a major goal, the next match in a world cup, the finals in football, a start in the Tour. For me my next major goal is a 16km marathon club run on Sunday followed by a half marathon in 5 weeks. I was running along pretty well tonight, no pain and very even breathing when I felt a ping or a pop or something indescribable explode in my calf, nano seconds later pain. I walked a few steps and tried to run on it again, more pain, then fear.For the first time ever on a training run I had to admit defeat and phone my wife, now I sit with my leg on ice and I'm pretty downcast. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment